Friday, April 9, 2010

Goodbye, Dear Friend

My 90+ year old Arabic friend in Ramallah is dying. We went to visit her yesterday. She probably weighs 80 lbs, is exceedingly frail and is curled up in a ball. She does not even have the strength to open her eyes. She knew who we were, but could not say anything but “yes” and “Amen” in response to questions.

Um-Rizek is a remarkable woman. She had many difficulties in her life, but I never knew her to be bitter or mad at God about the events in her life. I do not know if I could be as strong as her.

Um-Rizek was from the town of Jaffa, just south of Tel Aviv. By 1948 she was married, and she, her husband, and children left their home and business during the war - thinking they would come back in a week. The joke everyone says is, “We left the radio on.” However, because of the events of the 1948 war, she and her family were left homeless and without any source of income. Family pictures, family remembrances, everything was immediately lost.

The family made their way to Ramallah. Um-Rizek told me that there was no food for her children. Someone appeared at the door with a bag of groceries. Um-Rizek swears that this was an angel as she did not know the person.

Um-Rizek was a faithful member of our church. When I first went to Ramallah, she would translate for me on some occasions for Bible studies.

One day, when she was about 75, she showed up at my door, in tears. Her husband of many years was hospitalized with pneumonia. He was a quiet, hard working man who was bent over about half of his height, but still smiled. Um-Rizek wept and wept about her husband. I was touched by her concern for her husband, and honored to be able to pray with her at that time.

Then during part of the political turmoil in Ramallah, we were under curfew, no one was allowed outside of their homes. Um-Rizek’s husband again became ill, probably with pneumonia. All he needed was oxygen and an ambulance to take him to the hospital. No help could come because of the curfew, and this much beloved old man died at home.

Um-Rizek will relate these stories without bitterness at all.

A few years ago, Um-Rizek pulled out from her Bible a much worn black and white photograph taken in the 1940’s. It was a picture of a missionary, her mentor. Um-Rizek carried this small photograph for over 70 years, since when she was a teenager.

I wondered, whom have I impacted that would carry my photograph around for 70 years? Whose life have I changed or encouraged? I hope I as a missionary can leave a testimony like that.

Good bye my good friend Um-Rizek. You will soon be released from the surly bonds of earth and fly to the heavens.

No comments:

Post a Comment